22.10.11

Vermeer's Women Secrets Silence

Hello,
I'm spending my weekend at home with a huge cold! 
Yesterday I went to see the exhibition "Vermeer's Women Secrets Silence" at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, if you are in the area I highly recommend to go and see it.
Also, the museum has lots of "hidden" gems too, well worth a visit (even more than one if you can).
The exhibition rotates around the famous painting of Vermeer "Lacemaker", there are paintings from other seventeenth-century Dutch painters and it's an insight of the domestic life of women and children in that historical period in the Flanders. It made me think a lot about the role of women in the house (I'm not going to say family life because it's not about family only) and I was left with a question: "how much, really, has changed since then?" I can relate to those women somehow, feeling a connection almost. I can understand the silence and the focus but what puzzles me most is the painter, the man that recorded such intimates scenes. It's indeed a predominantly female world but we can only witness that through the eyes of a man, well, not ordinaries men though ;^)
Hope I didn't bore you with all this gibberish.
Have a nice weekend.










13 comments:

naa said...

Oh dear, I hope you'll get better soon... use this time to rest...*
I like the way your thoughts are written and you made me think about it as well... but there are so many thoughts running inside my head right now and I cannot come to a simple conclusion about this topic... I mean about the change... you, see, I'm babbling not you!
big hugs to you, get well soon!***

la casita said...

Hi Ana, thanks. I think that I wouldn't put too much thought about it. I just like to see things and realize that they can trigger questions in my mind, although sometimes I prefer not to answer to the questions, because really will not change much my life...it's just the experience :D

Séverine said...

très intéressant Alessandra, je me pose les mêmes questions aussi..
soigne toi bien et bon week end, bises

Alma said...

It makes me think that Vermeer painted women's inside lives and works and now the silence is not THAT silent anymore as we can luckily witness them centuries later, all over the world...

C SATHAL said...

J'aime ton gibberish là !
Peut-être que Vermeer se déguisait-il en chat pour assister à tant de ces scènes féminines ? ;)
Et pour te réchauffer, un peu de chaleur marseillaise !
C.

Maria said...

last day of may said...

oh hello...your thoughts and words are not at all gibberish. it is nice how they flow in a fresh way. like a conversation :) the exhibition does look good. i plan on going along with my mum very soon and now with your recommendation will make it a definite. i am happy to find some events worth visiting nearby as it is hard for me to get to london with a toddler in tow. (we must live in the same-ish area then?) will you go along to see the angie lewin and rob ryan show which opens at the end of the week? hope you feel better soon. i shall share my thoughts on the paintings when i have been. x

Bohemian girl said...

Yes, why did you think that your nice speech had no meaning? As far as I got in my doctorate I can provide you with one (of many possible) explanations on the subject of these paintings, which is little disappointing in the end - these painters depicted whatever would sell well (unfortunately) and what there was demand for from the rich audience. However, one can say that Vermeer got further and gave his painting more than this simple initial thought.
Well, gibberish...
Sorry

blue china studio said...

Hello, it has been a long while since I've visited. I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well.

I wish I could go see the exhibit, it sounds so interesting. And I always appreciate something that is thought provoking.

Nancy Baric *negfilm said...

lovely lovely !
feel better soon!!

xxn

Kylie said...

Not gibberish at all! I think it's really fascinating too.
Love your beautiful photos, Alessandra :) Kx

la casita said...

Alma, yes you are right, silence doesn't belong to this century! :)

CSathal I like the idea that Vermeer could transform himself in a cat! oh the warmth of Marseille, merci :)

last day of may, thank you. looking forward to know your impressions about the exhibition. I don't know about Angela Lenwin and Rob Ryan exhib, it seems that they are everywhere these days...(no offence, I had an overload of the stuff, perhaps too much marketing?).

Magda, thank you, you are adding food for thought!:)

blue china studio, hello and thanks!

Thank you Maria, Nancy and Kylie, always make me happy to hear from you.
THANKS ALL ♥♥♥ the cold is still there but at least I have an excuse to stay at home ;)

Mary said...

i listened to a bbc 4 podcast about this exhibition. it sounds as though it's been nciely curated.
hope you're feeling better!